Pick your language for posts | Escolhe o idioma para os posts


Friday 23 January 2015

My green smoothie experience | part 2

Welcome to part 2 of my smoothie experience. You can read part 1 here.

You can mix and match pretty much anything, and there are a lot more ingredient options than the ones I put in the infographic, but those are the ones I reach for. This is the recipe I do every single day, I just rotate the strawberries and pineapple for other fruits I have available. Sometimes I add 2 tea spoons of chia seeds and it keeps me fuller longer.

My very basic recipe is as follows:
2 hand fulls of spinach
1 glass of water (approximately 250mL)
1 banana
5 strawberries
4 chunks of pineapple
Juice of one orange

Some tips and pointers:
  • After a long time of eating smoothies with leafy spinach chunks, I came across a tip on the Internet that totally changed the game for me - blend the liquid with the leafy greens first before adding the rest of the ingredients.
  • Since I use so few ingredients in my smoothies, I need the sweetness to come from somewhere. I never ever make smoothies if I'm out of bananas - since I don't add any sweeteners such as honey or stevia, I need the banana to provide enough sweetness in the smoothie for it to taste good for me.
  • If you want some extra smoothness, try adding a tablespoon or so of avocado, it does the trick.
  • Proceed at your own risk but I have tried smoothies with apple and I hated it because of the texture it gives, so maybe don't try it on your first smoothie.
  • Don't go being all healthy like a champ on your first smoothie adding a huge lot of leafy greens thinking it's all or nothing - you won't like it and you'll be less likely to stick with it. Set yourself up for success - ease it in, add more spinach each time and you'll eventually get there.
  • Since we're on the subject of all or nothing - don't feel like if you don't do it everyday it's not worth it. Adapt it to your schedule and your needs. If you can't do it every single morning because you start work or school really early and you don't want to wake everyone in the house by blending a smoothie with your very noisy blender (true story), then don't.
  • It´s harder to have to buy fresh ingredients every few days, so what I do is freeze almost everything I can. You can even chop everything up and put it in the freezer, that way in the morning you already have all prepped.
Even if you can't eat greens to save your life, give this a try - if you start out easy you won't even taste the spinach or the kale or whatever you choose to have in your smoothie.

Have you seen any results/benefits from drinking green smoothies?

I´m not going to say I feel a lot more energised and ready to take on the world, because I simply can't tell that by drinking a smoothie every morning. But what I can tell you is that I feel a lot better about myself, I feel like I'm empowering myself by doing such a good thing for my body and my health instead of falling back into my old breakfast habit of having anything with chocolate that I could find in the pantry. It's a good way to make sure I'm getting my recommended vegetable and fruit portions, since in the morning I already get a good head start for the day so there's less pressure. I've been doing this for almost a year and I notice my skin is so much better than it used to (I used to break out a lot and I feel like now my skin is better). Let's not be too gullible  and think it's solely from drinking green smoothies, it might be from a number of factors ranging from a healthier lifestyle to a better skincare regimen, but I do feel like starting the green smoothies was a turning point for my skin.

Which blender should I get?

I wish I could be of more help with this one, but I'd advise you to do your research. There are very good blenders out there which are very popular, such as the NutriBullet, but it also comes with a big price tag and not readily available everywhere (definitely not in Portugal). So the best you can do is really get googling and reading reviews, check what's available in your local shops. I would recommend you mine if I were 100% happy with it, which I'm not. I bought a hand held blender because it was the same price as a stationary blender but had a lot more motor power. Looking back I would have bought a stationary blender for the convenience of it - the hand held ones can be very messy and you can't leave it unattended standing inside your smoothie cup because it can tip over and make a mess out of your kitchen (take my word for it!). When I was researching to buy a blender I found some pages recommending that it has at least 1000 watts for smoothies, so maybe that's a good starting point (the one I bought has 600 watts and it still does the job).

I'm just starting, what other sources could I check for ideas?

I'm going to state the obvious here: the internet is a world and you can find so many recipes out there. I recommend a website I visited A LOT when I was researching and learning more about green smoothies - Simple Green Smoothies. It's really worth it, a lot of information in a clean and user friendly website. This post is also good for some simple recipes.
I would also recommend a youtube video I like (I love the whole channel, check it out if you want healthy recipes). This video in particular has 5 gorgeous smoothie recipes, only one of them is a green smoothie but still worth checking out for some yummy and healthy fruit smoothies.
Sejam bem-vindos à segunda parte da minha experiência com batidos verdes. Podem ler a primeira parte aqui.

Podem experimentar com vários ingredientes, quantidades e outras opções que não coloquei no guia (que podem ver no primeiro post), mas estes ingredientes são os que eu uso diariamente, só vou rodando os morangos e ananás por outras frutas que tenha disponíveis. Quando me lembro adiciono duas colheres de sobremesa de sementes de chia.

A minha (bastante) básica receita é esta:
2 mãos cheias de espinafres
1 copo de água (aproximadamente 250mL)
1 banana
5 morangos
4 pedaços de ananás
sumo de uma laranja

Algumas dicas e notas:
  • Depois de muito (mas mesmo muito) tempo a beber batidos com bocados de espinafre que não foram bem batidos, encontrei uma dica na internet que mudou completamente a qualidade dos meus batidos - é melhor bater os espinafres (ou outra verdura que tenham escolhido) com o líquido primeiro, antes de adicionar qualquer outro ingrediente.
  • Como uso poucos ingredientes, é preciso que alguma das frutas faça o batido mais doce porque sabe-me melhor dessa forma. Como tal, nunca faço batidos se não tiver bananas em casa.
  • Se quiserem que o batido fique mais cremoso, adicionem uma colher ou duas de abacate - faz milagres.
  • Façam como acharem melhor, mas eu já experimentei usar maçãs ou pêras para fazer batidos e não gostei da textura farinhenta, por isso talvez seja bom evitarem estas frutas no vosso primeiro batido não vá o diabo tecê-las.
  • Não vale a pena começarem a fazer batidos com uma enorme quantidade de verduras pensando que é tudo ou nada - não vão gostar do resultado e existirá menor probabilidade de continuarem a fazer batidos. Comecem por adicionar só um bocado de verduras e vão aumentando à medida a que se habituam.
  • Já que estamos no tópico do tudo ou nada, não sintam que se não conseguirem tomar batidos todos os dias, não vale a pena. Adaptem esta nova mudança ao vosso estilo de vida e às vossas necessidades. Se não conseguirem fazê-lo todas as manhãs porque começam o trabalho ou escola cedo e não querem acordar a casa toda com a vossa barulhenta batedeira não faz mal.
  • É mais difícil comprar ingredientes frescos várias vezes por semana, por isso o que eu faço é comprar tudo num dia e congelar tudo o que posso. Podem até deixar as frutas já cortadas e quando acordam de manhã é só colocar tudo na batedeira.
  • Mesmo que não gostem de todo de legumes ou verduras, experimentem. Não vão conseguir sentir o sabor dos espinafres ou do que estiverem a usar.

Notas algum benefício/resultados por beberes batidos verdes?

Não vou dizer-vos que me sinto com muito mais energia e que vejo as cores mais vivas, porque simplesmente não é verdade. Mas o que vos posso dizer é que me sinto muito melhor comigo mesma, sinto que estou a fazer algo de muito bom pela minha saúde e pelo meu corpo em vez de cair na tentação de velhos hábitos alimentares. É também uma boa forma de comer as porções diárias recomendadas de legumes e frutas. Tenho estado a beber batidos verdes há cerca de um ano e noto que a minha pele está muito melhor do que era (costumava ter muito acne). Sei que esta mudança na minha pele pode ser devida a vários factores tais como cuidados de pele ou outras mudanças no estilo de vida, mas sem dúvida que a alimentação tem um grande efeito na saúde da nossa pele e eu acho que os batidos ajudaram nesse sentido.

Que batedeira aconselhas?

Gostava de ser uma melhor ajuda neste tópico, pois sei que quando andava a pesquisar que batedeira comprar não encontrei nenhuma boa resposta. Infelizmente, não experimentei uma grande variedade de batedeiras para vos poder dar uma boa recomendação. Não vos recomendo a que comprei pois não estou muito satisfeita - comprei uma varinha mágica em vez de uma batedeira, pois na altura estava ao mesmo preço que uma batedeira mas tinha um motor mais potente (o que é bom para batidos).No entanto, foi uma má escolha pois são mais difíceis de limpar e são menos práticas. A única coisa que vos posso dizer para ajudar é o óbvio: quanto maior a potência do motor, melhor. Pelo que vi na altura quando pesquisei, o ideal é de 1000 watts para cima (no entanto a minha é de 600 watts e faz o trabalho). Recomendo também que em vez de uma varinha mágica comprem mesmo uma batedeira pois a longo prazo vai ser bem mais prático.

Estou ainda a começar, que outras fontes aconselhas para aprender mais sobre batidos verdes?

Recomendo este website que visitei imensas vezes quando estava a pesquisar e a querer aprender mais sobre batidos verdes - Simple Green Smoothies. Vale mesmo a pena, tem imensa informação sobre os benefícios, receitas, ingredientes diferentes que podem usar. Este post também é bom se querem algumas receitas.
Recomendo também um vídeo do youtube que gosto muito (adoro o canal todo, visitem se querem receitas saudáveis). Este vídeo tem 5 receitas de batidos, apenas uma delas é um batido verde mas continua a valer a pena ver se quiserem batidos saborosos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...